Good news for the Samsung Galaxy Y (GT-S5380D) Smartphone users. The Galaxy Y users now can upgrade their android device further to the stock Android 2.0 firmware. The update was recently rolled from the official sources for the Galaxy Y users in South Africa, Indonesia, Morocco (MWD), Philippines (Open Line), Malaysia, & Slovakia. As you know the Galaxy Y is an Android device with some good features like a 3.2″ TFT capacitive touchscreen display with TouchWiz UI and 320 x 480 pixels resolution, is powered by a 832 MHz CPU, and runs on the bada OS, v2.0 Operating System. Further it packs a 2MPrear camera with 1600 x 1200 pixels resolution, but doesn’t have any secondary camera. If you are a owner of this smartphone and want to further upgrade your device to the official Android 2.0 Firmware, then I am here with this step-by-step guide for you. The update has gone on floors in Philippines for Open Line users and in Morocco for MWD Galaxy Y users. So follow the steps given in this guide and you can easily update your device with the latest firmware. But before that you need to meet certain requirements, so that your update will not be a failure, nor your smartphone will brick or lose any important data within. So take a quick look on the per-requirements.
Double check the Name and model of your Smartphone device before initiating the update since this guide is meant for only theGalaxy Y (GT-S5380D) and implementing the procedure in other devices might hard brick your device. Anyways, TechGipsy will not remain responsible for any sort of damage or data loss the device might undergo during the installation process. So proceed only if you understand what you do.
- All important data and files of your Galaxy Y (GT-S5380D) Smartphone should be provided a good back-up before this update since the update might erase your important data.
- A computer and original USB cable should be kept ready for use.
- Your PC must be pre-loaded with the Galaxy Y drivers since the drivers will help you connect your device to your PC. If not installed, then at first download the drivers from the official site of Samsung.
- The USB debugging option should be enabled by following the steps Menu > Settings > Applications.
- To ensure if your USB debugging is enabled, navigate and tap on Developer Options. Don’t forget to disable the USB Debugging option post update.
- Most importantly keep your phone battery fully charged. If it is not fully charged, at least maintain a minimum of 75% power back up before starting the update.
Steps to Update
- First of all download the Android 2.0 firmware [Galaxy Y users in South Africa, Indonesia, Morocco (MWD), Philippines (Open Line), Malaysia, & Slovakia] for your Galaxy Y and extract it on the desktop of your Computer. Now download Odin v3.09.zip.
- Then Put your Galaxy Y Smartphone into download mode by first turning off the phone and then pressing its Volume Down button, Power Button and Home Button simultaneously. Thereafter press the Volume up Button again after a warning message appear on your screen, to put your Galaxy Y into download mode.
- Then launch Odin on your PC and connect the Galaxy Y device to the PC via USB cable.
- The button-left corner of Odin will display a message after the connection of the Galaxy device with your PC is successful.
- Now launch Odin on your PC, press “AP/ADB” in Odin and choose the “.tar.md5″ file 4.4.2 extracted Android 2.0 folder. Make sure that re-partition option is unticked.
- Next select the “Auto-reboot” option in Odin and press the “Start” button. The update process will take around 4-5 minutes. Wait still your Galaxy Y restarts.
And Congratulations! You are now successfully done with the updating your Galaxy Y (GT-S5380D) handset. Go ahead and experience the Android Eclairs goodies in your Galaxy device. In case of any issues, get back to us via the comment section. For further tech news, android updates and rooting, keep visiting TechGipsy.