Every Windows 10 computer has its own storage inside. For the low-cost computer, the storage can only stop at 32GB. Mid-range PC’s drive is between a 500GB and 1TB hard drive for storing files. No matter the capacity, all Windows computer have one common problem that is full of storage for storing your data. That’s why you should free up the disk space in Windows 10 frequently.
How to Free Up Disk Space in Windows 10
- Remove Apps and Games
The first method you can try is removing the programs, apps that you rarely use. This can save up a lot of space on your disk. To do so,
Click on the Windows button at the bottom-left corner and type in Add or Remove Programs in the search box.
Now you will see a list sorted into alphabetical order by default. But you should click on the Sort by field and change it to sort by Size.
Next, click Uninstall button for the app you want to delete. Software and games that you’ve downloaded from the Windows Store will be removed in seconds.
- Compress Folders into Zip Files
Before deleting files on your Windows 10 computer, you can compress all the files if you want. Windows 10 allows compressing ZIP files, which can save a lot of amount on your hard drive.
To create a ZIP file, follow these blow steps
- Right-click any space on your desktop.
- Choose New > Compressed (Zipped) Folder in the menu.
- Enter the ZIP file and hit Enter.
- Now drag all the files that you want to compress into that folder.
But you should delete the original files after you have added copies to the ZIP file to save up space.
- Use Storage Sense
Another way to free up space is using Storage Sense to delete files that are clogging your system.
- Simply, click on Windows button at the bottom-left
- Type Storage into the Search bar and hit Enter
- It will now switch to Storage Sense. Switch from Off to On and Windows will then delete unnecessary files from the Recycle Bin.
- Now, click on the Change how we free up space
The system by defaults won’t delete files from your Downloads folder, but you enable it. Just click the Clean Now button to remove files immediately.
Also see: How To Clear Cache On Windows Computer
- Use Cloud Storage
In case you don’t want a peripheral hard drive, you can use the cloud storage. Although Dropbox and Google Drive are solid services, Windows 10 comes with a built-in support for OneDrive. The Files On-Demand feature allows you to check what’s stored on Microsoft’s servers directly from your computer. When you need a file, just double-click on it and your computer will automatically download it.
To activate OneDrive:
- Right-click on the white cloud icon at bottom-right
- Choose Settings from the menu.
- Click on Settings
- Check the Files on Demand box and click Ok.
- Click on the cloud located in the bottom-right corner
- Select the folder at the top-right corner
- Finally, just move the files to the OneDrive folder.
These are four typical methods to free up space on your Windows 10 computer. If you have other solutions, let’s know in the comment.