Many Mac OS X users have recently reported that their external hard drive did not show up on Mac neither in the disk utility nor in devices. This problem even exists after installing the update of OSX Yosemite, Sierra or High Sierra. If you are in the same situation, here are a few our solutions to help you easily fix this problem on your Mac.
Fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up On Mac
- Show the Drive Icon on the Desktop
- Go to “Settings” -> click on “Finder Preferences”.
- In “Show these items on the desktop” under the General tab, choose External
- Check the USB Hub
If you are using USB Hub to connect your external hard drive with your Mac, you should check the USB hub first.
- Verify Disc from Disk Utility
Select the external drive from “Disk Utility”, then “verify disc” to sort out small errors.
- Enter the Disk Path in Finder Manually
- Open “Go to Folder” in the Finder menu.
- Enter the external drive path showing up under Disk Utility. Ex: /Volumes/disk01
- Check Disk with Disk Utility
- Check Disk Utility to ensure if your external USB drive has not mounted.
- Attach another external drive to your computer and check if your computer can recognize it or not.
- Eject it correctly from the Finder list.
- Finally, open your computer again and mount the external drive.
- Check if the External Drive is Visible
If you don’t see your drive in Finder but it shows up in Disk Utility, here is how you should do.
Launch the Finder window and check your favorite list. If you see your drive faded, choose the drive. It may then be visible afterwards.
Also read: How to Install MacOS Sierra 10.13 Developer Beta 2 On Mac
- Reboot your Mac and Reconnect External Disk
- Switch off your Mac.
- Remove the power cable and all the USB connections.
- Wait for a few minutes and then plug them in again.
- Turn on your MacBook or iMac.
- Finally, connect your external drive to the USB port and then go to Finder to check your drive.
- Install Onyx app
Sometimes a third party app can help you fix the problem. You can install Onyx app and then run the software or run Kext Utility app and then reboot your Mac.
These are the common methods to fix hard drive not showing up on Mac. If you have other solutions, let’s know in the comment below.