Samsung, the leading South Korean Smartphone manufacturer lately rolled a new official KitKat 5.1.1 firmware update with the build name VPU4COG5 for its Sprint Galaxy Note 4. So if you are a user of the said Galaxy Note, then you can update your Android device right now. Soon you will get the update notification (being this an OTA update) on your Sprint Galaxy Note 4. Then you can download the firmware, launch it on your device and follow the appearing instructions on your screen to flash the new firmware. You can also manually check availability of the firmware on your Galaxy Note by going to Settings>About Device>Software Update.
But if you don’t have that much patience to wait still the OTA hits your device, then you can follow the manual update method. Flashing the new Android 5.1.1 VPU4COG5 firmware on your Sprint Galaxy Note 4 using the manual update method. It will be little tricky, but not difficult at all. But if you are a newbie, then you must properly read and understand the below given step-by-step guide at first. Then only you should proceed for the update. Remember, we at Techgipsy will never remain responsible for any sort of brick or damage of your device, if it experiences any during the update process. So don’t proceed if you know not what you do.
You are recommended to use WiFi while downloading the update. Else it will use much of your mobile data. Besides, double check the Name and model of your device before initiating the update since this guide [divider]is meant only for the Sprint Galaxy Note 4 and implementing the procedure in other devices might brick your device. Now let’s take a look on the pre-requirements.
- All important data and files of your Sprint Galaxy Note 4 should be provided a good back-up before this update since the update might erase your important data.
- A computer and original USB cable should be kept ready for use.
- Your PC must be pre-loaded with the Sprint Galaxy Note 4 drivers since the drivers will help you connect your Galaxy Note to your PC. If not installed, then at first download the drivers from the official site of Samsung.
- The USB debugging option should be enabled by following the steps Menu > Settings > Applications.
- To ensure if your USB debugging is enabled, navigate and tap on Developer Options. Don’t forget to disable the USB Debugging option post update.
- Most importantly keep your phone battery fully charged. If it is not fully charged, at least maintain a minimum of 75% power back up before starting the update.
Steps to Update Sprint Galaxy Note 4
- First of all download the Android 5.1.1 VPU4COG5.zip file for your Sprint Galaxy Note 4 and extract it on the desktop of your Computer. Then download Odin v3.09.zip.
- Then Put your Galaxy Note 4 into download mode by first turning off the phone and then pressing its Volume Down button, Power Button and Home Button simultaneously. Thereafter press the Volume Up Button again after a warning message appear on your screen, to put your Galaxy Note 4 into download mode.
- Then connect the Galaxy Note 4 to the PC via USB cable.
- The button-left corner of Odin will display a message after connection of the Galaxy device to your PC is successful.
- Now launch Odin on your PC, click on “AP/ADB” in Odin and choose the “.tar.md5″ file from the extracted Lollipop 5.1.1 VPU4COG5 folder. Make sure that re-partition option is unchecked.
- Next select the “Auto-reboot” option in Odin and press the “Start” button. The update process will take around 4-5 minutes. Wait still your Galaxy Note 4 restarts.
That’s it! Now you have successfully updated your Sprint Galaxy Note 4 to the Android 5.1.1 VPU4COG5 firmware. Go ahead and experience the Lollipop fun on your Sprint Galaxy Note 4. In case of any issues, get back to me via the comment section. I shall try to come out with a solution for you. For further tech news, android updates and rooting, keep visiting TechGipsy.