As you guys know Zenfone 5 is not supported to update the official Android Marshmallow 6.0 from Asus. It is a pity for Asus Zenfone 5 users. However, that does not mean you cannot get the Android Marshmallow for your Zenfone 5, you still experience from third party custom ROMs and CyanogenMod is always good option to go with. It is not an unofficial ROM but fully functional for your device. Therefore, if you own a Zenfone 5 model no.A500CG (T00F), A501CG (T00J), you can flash the CM13 ROM using custom recovery like TWRP or CWM to get the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your device.
Here is full step by step guide to install CM13 Marshmallow ROM on your Asus Zenfone 5.
(Also see: How to Enter Recovery Mode on Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe)
How to get Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Asus Zenfone 5
- A500CG (T00F)
- A501CG (T00J)
Before flashing the CM13 custom rom, here are some points you need to pay attention:
- This is not an official marshmallow update for Zenfone 5.
- As a Custom rom, so there are some chances of bugs because the Rom is still the beta version
- You will lose the warranty after installing the marshmallow update on your device
- Make a backup of all your data via Google account or Dropbox.
- Make sure your device’s bootloader is unlocked.
- You have a Windows PC and ADB and fasboot drivers installed
- Charge your smartphone’ battery to at least 80% .
- You should have a stable internet connection to download the custom rom
- There are chances of bricking your device while flashing the CM13 ROM on your device, so make sure to do everything at your own risk.
Now, you can start flashing Android 6.01 for your Zenfone 5.
- First download the CyanogenMod 13 For Asus Zenfone 5
- Once downloaded, connect your Asus Zenfone 5 to Your computer using aUSB cable to copy Rom file into Fastboot folder ( as you unlocked bootloader your device before, it would appear a Fastboot folder in the internal storage)
- Power off your device, and boot into DroidBoot mode by pressing and holding the Power + Volume Up
- Now, flash the boot and system images with fastboot tool, you type in or copy the code line here
fastboot flash boot boot-20160406+1.img
fastboot flash system systemCM-13.0-20160406.img
- After doing the above commands, you should also clear data and cache by fastboot tool.
fastboot erase data
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase cache .
Now reboot your smartphone, and wait for 15 minutes so that your device can boot into the welcome screnn. That’s all you have successfully updated your Asus Zenfone 5 to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.