Hello you, guys! Today, I have a very special news for you. That’s you Xiaomi mi5 can now update to MIUI 8 6.12.8 based on the official Android 7.0 Nougat. Although the fastboot flashable file has been made available online, the firmware can be OTA received. This update package can be installed globally as it is compatible with all the Xiaomi Mi5. So, if you cannot receive the OTA, simply follow the given steps to learn how to manually update your Mi5 to the official Android 7.0 Nougat OS.
As it’s an official update, so it will not affect to the warranty or cause bugs, get bricked for your device. But before flashing the update, you also should make note something:
- Your smartphone shouldn’t be rooted or tweaked in any other apps and run on stock firmware
- Don’t forget to make a full backup of your important data to avoid unwanted issues
- Need a computer installed Android SDK tool
- Your computer needs to install the Xiaomi USB driver
- Keep your device battery at least 50% left to ensure nothing wrong happens during the update
- Turn on the Developer Option on your handset by tapping 7 times repeatedly on Built Number from Settings > About Phone. Then toggle USB Debugging to On
How to update Xiaomi mi5 to official Android 7.0 Nougat
- Use the OTA
- On your computer, download the Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update file and then save it on desktop.
- Turn on your smartphone.
- Connect your phone with your computer using a USB- Type C cable, then transfer the downloaded OTA file on your device
- Now, on your handset, go to Settings > About phone > Software version > Software Update to open the Updater app (from).
- Tap on Choose Update package and select the OTA file you just moved in.
- Wait for the update process to complete.
Also see: How to install Android 7.1 CM14.1 ROM on Xiaomi Mi4
- Manage the Fastboot file
- Download the Fastboot ROM package on your computer and place it on destop
- Extract this file with WinRAR or 7zip.
- Turn off your Xiaomi Mi5. Then press and hold the Volume Down and Power button altogether for a few seconds to enter fastboot mode.
- Connect your phone with your computer via a USB Type C cable.
- Open the unzipped folder of the update package. Here, run the flas_all executable
- Just wait the update process is completed. Once done, reboot your device.
Perfect! You have now successfully installed the official Android 7.0 Nougat firmware on your Xiaomi Mi5. In case of any issues, feel free to bring me back in the comment below. I shall share solutions for you.