Your Xiaomi Mi5 is stopping at the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow version, and there is not still any update to the Android 7.0 Nougat, which makes you disappointed. However, your Mi 5 can now update to the latest Android 7.1.2 Nougat with OctOS Nougat Custom ROM. If you feel interested with this new ROM and want to experience, here is step-by-step guide to flash Android 7.1.2 ROM on your Xiaomi Mi 5.
However, before starting the process, you should note that as this is still an unofficial Custom ROM, so your device might probably face issues, which you have never seen before. Furthermore, you need to meet the pre-requirements, and remember that you should only flash the ROM if you understand the risk yourself.
First, your device needs to pre-installed a custom Recovery to flash this Rom. Besides, make a full backup data of your device, as they will be lost during the update. You should also enable the USB Debugging in Settings > Additional Settings to easily connect your device to computer before the update. Charge your Mi 5’s battery to at least 50% so that there is no issue during flashing the Custom ROM update. Now let’s check steps to flash Android 7.1.2 Nougat ROM on Xiaomi Mi 5.
Steps to Install Android 7.1.2 Nougat Rom on Xiaomi Mi 5
- First, download the Android 7.1.2 Nougat OctOS ROM & Gapps onto your computer.
- Plug your Mi 5 to your PC using a standard USB Type-C cable and move the ROM and the Gapps files into the internal storage of your device.
- After that, power off your device, detach the USB Type-C cable, and boot it into the custom TWRP recovery mode.
- Here, select “wipe data/factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” from the menu to wipe data and clear cache of your Mi 5 so that there is no bugs happening with the new Rom.
- Then choose the “Install” option and flash the ROM on your device.
- Once done, tap on No and continue to flash the Nougat 7.1 Google Apps package
- Wait for the process to finish and select “reboot now”.
Also see: How to flash Android 7.1 Nougat Rom for Xiaomi Redmi 1S
Congratulations! Your device can now taste the Android 7.1.2 Nougat features. In case you have any issues, ping us back in the comment section, we shall find out some solutions for you.