Galaxy S4 was a flagship of Samsung in 2013, it could be seen as a monster in its first launch with Exynos 5410 Octa core processor, 2GB RAM and a 5 inch AMOLED FullHD display. Unluckily, Samsung has stopped supporting for this device at Android 5.0 Lollipop and no longer any official update. However, that does not mean, you cannot update for your S4 to the higher Android version. Of course, you cannot do it officially, but you can use dedicated custom ROMs. That’s why, in this article, we decide to show how to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Galaxy S4.
How to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Galaxy S4
Before flashing Android 6.0.1 ROM for the device, you need to note something first.
- This ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S4 and if you flash it on any other Android devices, it can end to brick the device.
- It will format all the data inside the internal memory, so you should make a backup first.
- Charge the battery up to at least 60% to ensure it will not die during installing Rom process.
- You also need a custom recovery such as TWRP, CWM to install this Rom. To install custom recovery for S4, follow these steps, Here we will instruct you to install TWRP recovery (requiring computer)
- First, download driver for your S4, then install it on the computer
- Download TWRP recovery and Odin to your computer
- Power off your phone to boot your device into Odin mode. Hold down the Volume Down + Home, then press the Power button for a few seconds. Then a warning screen with a yellow exclamation mark will appear, press the Volume Upbutton to enter Odin Mode
- Open exe with administrator and connect your S4 to the computer. If your S4 is connected successfully, the ID:COM port will turn blue with the COM port number
- Now, lick on AP/ PDA box to select the zip file you just downloaded. Check the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options on Option tab.
- Now, click on Start button, the installation process will start and take a few minutes to complete.
- Once done, your phone will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically to install the root package / files. After that, it will reboot.
Now, your S4 is ready to flash Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Install an Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4
(Also see: how to update Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Korean Samsung Galaxy A8 (2015))
- Download the Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM file as well as Google Apps package (Select ARM and Marshmallow i.e 6.0) onto your computer
- Transfer the downloaded files into your Galaxy S4, do not put it in any folder
- Power off your device and then boot your device into recovery mode. To do that, hold down the Home, Volume up and Power button together for a few seconds. After that, press the Volume down, your device now is in TWRP recovery.
4. Now, tap on Wipe section, Select ‘wipe data, cache, dalvik, system’ and swipe to confirm the selection
5. Then, load the firmware by selecting “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card.
6. Now flash the Rom you have put into your device and wait for the process to complete. Once done, you will be asked to reboot your device, tap on “No” to flash the Google Apps package
7. Once the installation with files is complete, from the recovery options, tap on “Reboot system” to restart your device. For the first time booting up, it will take you 10-20 minutes.
And now, your Galaxy S4 have been successfully updated to Android 6.0.1. Enjoy the new features on Android Marshmallow.