Sony Xperia Z has ever been a flagship of Sony when it first was released in 2013. Until now, there are many people still choose to use the first smartphone of Xperia Z series. It was launched with Android Jelly bean, ended up with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop operating system. From there, Sony has not rolled out any official update for this handset, it is so sad for Xperia Z fans. However, you should not be hopeless, as thanks to XDA developers, you can now get Android 7.0 Nougat for your Sony Z.
The Android 7.0 Nougat brings more improvements than Android 6.0/ 5.1.1 and many new features have been added to it. It is worthwhile to try this Rom on your Xperia Z.
There are still some bugs, which we will mention below but with few updates, we expect those would be removed.
Bugs on this Rom
- Camera issue – there is an issue with video recording; this is a common issue with most of Android 7.0 ROMs. Instead, you could try other camera apps to fix it.
- Notification LED may not work – it may be not a big issue.
Above are two major issues that still exist in this Rom and in coming updates, they should probably be fixed, so do not worry.
How to flash Android 7.0 Nougat on Sony Xperia Z
Before installing this custom ROM, you need to prepare something first.
- This Rom can only be used on Sony Xperia Z and if any other Android device flashes it, it can end to brick the device.
- a custom recovery is required such as TWRP (https://dl.twrp.me/yuga) to install this Rom
- It will wipe out all the data inside the internal memory of your device, so make sure you make a backup first.
- Charge the battery up to at least 50% to ensure it will not die during installing Rom process.
Now, download Android 7.0 Nougat version for your Xperia Z, the build of CyanogenMod 14.0 Rom for Xperia Z, here. You should download the latest version from the list.
Once downloaded, copy it to your device’s SD card or internal storage.
If you want to have Google apps onto your device, you can download the package from here (ARM->Android 7.0-> Pico or Nano). Then flash it after you’ve flashed the Rom file.
Now, we are ready to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 7.0
How to update Xperia Z to Android 7.0
- Power off your Sony
- Boot into the recovery mode – Press the Power button until the Notification LED gets up, press Volume Up or Down button several times and you will be taken to TWRP or CWM recovery mode.
- Now, you are at the Recovery mode. Select ‘wipe data, dalvik cache, system’ and confirm the selection.
4. Now flash the Rom you have put into your device. Select ‘install’, locate the Rom file and confirm it.
5. Wait for the process finishes. Once done, you will be asked to reboot your device, tap on “No”, then flash the Google Apps package ( if you have downloaded)
6. Once you done the installation with files, from the recovery options select “Reboot system now” to restart your device. For the first time booting up, it will take you some minutes.
Once done, it will bring you to the new home screen. Complete the Setting steps to use it. And now, your Sony Z have been successfully updated to Android 7.0. Enjoy the new features on Android Nougat.