Google has officially released Android 7.0 Nougat. The newly released OS version is compatible with several Nexus devices including Nexus 6. If you have a Nexus 6 device, you just go to Settings > About phone >Update > Check for the update and install Android Nougat. However, if your Nexus 6 may not get the OTA (over-the-air) update for a couple of weeks, do not worry as we have the solution for you. Now we will show you how to flash Android 7.0 Nougat Factory Image on your Nexus device.
How to get Nougat by flashing a factory image
First, you will have to do something before flashing the factory image for your device.
- Get tools to flash a factory image
First you need to install Android SDK on your computer. Then you also need adb and fastboot, which can be downloaded from the Android Studio portal.
- Go to Android Studiowebpage
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Find compatible tool with your platform — Windows/ Mac
- Extract the downloaded file (.exe, .zip, .tgz)
The next thing you have to do after downloading the necessary tools is to enable USB Debugging; and unlock the bootloader of your device.
- Enable USB Debugging on Nexus 6
- Open Settings on your device.
- Scroll down to About Phone
- Tap seven times on the Build number until a message says you are now the developer.
- Back to Settings and you will see Developer Options above About Phone, tap on it
- Turn on USB debugging as well as Check Enable OEM unlock
- Connect your Nexus device into your computer.
- Tap OK on the dialog box to Allow USB debugging
Once done, it’s time to unlock bootloader your Nexus to flash Android 7.0
- Unlock Bootloader
Unlocking bootloader is very simple, but your phone will factory reset, and you will lose all of your apps and personal data. Therefore, ensure that you make a backup of your device before performing the process.
- Power off your phone or tablet
- Hold down the power buttonand the volume down button for a few seconds
- On your computer, open Command Prompt(Windows) or Terminal (Mac). Go to folder with Platform tools.
- In terminal or command prompt, type: ./fastboot flashing unlock.
- Press the Powerand Volume up button on your device to unlock bootloader.
- On your computer, type: ./fastboot reboot
- Now your device is ready to flash the Android 7.0 factory image.
- How to To flash a system image:
- Download the Android 7.0 factory imagefile for your Nexus 6, Link.
- Once downloaded, extract the file in your Platform tools
- Put your device into bootloader mode and connect it to the computer.
- Open Command Prompton Windows or Terminal on Mac. Then navigate to folder with Platform tools.
- Type:./adb devicesto make sure the computer can recognize your phone.
- Type the flash-all
On Windows, that is flash-all.bat
On Mac, that is flash-all.sh
Wait until the process finishes. Now, your Nexus 6 runs at Android 7.0 Nougat