Windows 10 is pre-installed some tools to fix storage problems. DiskPart, a command-line tool, a Format tool in Windows Explorer, and a Disk Management utility give you an overall look at everything happening on your Windows 10 computer. If you are not sure, here is how use these tools to clean or format your hard drive, flash drive or SD card to make it work again.
Clean And Format Windows 10 Using DiskPart
The most powerful tool in Windows 10 for dealing with Disk Issues is the DiskPart Tool. It includes a text interface, so it’s not for the newbie and you must know what exactly you’re doing.
- Connect your USB drive.
- Press the Windows button on your keyboard and do a search for “Command Prompt.”Right-click on the result and click Run as Administrator.
- Enter diskpart.
- Type list diskand press Enter. Here, look for the storage device that you want to troubleshoot.
- Type in select diskand enter the name of the drive.
- Enter clean.
- Type in create partition primaryand hit Enter.
- Enter select partition 1.
- Typeactive and hit Enter.
- Type format fs=NTFS label=Temporary. Wait for the partitioning and formatting process to complete.
- Enter assign letter=X.
Clean And Format Windows 10 Using Windows Explorer
File Explorer is the easiest way to format storage in all Windows OS versions. To do this:
- Go to the Desktop and click on the Start button at the bottom-left corner to open the Start Menu.
- Type This PCinto the search bar and hit Enter
- Now search for the drive you’re connecting in the Devices an Drives If you just see the labeled Windows of this drive, check the USB drive’s connection again
- Right-click on the drive and choose Format.
Also read: Here is how you extend the Windows 10 lock screen timeout
Format And Clean Storage In Windows 10 With Disk Manager
The Disk Management tool provides more details about the storage of your Windows 10 computer. It can also detect storage devices when the File Explorer is having trouble with the access.
- Click on Start button
- Click on the search bar and type in Disk Manager then hit Enter. You can also click on Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions in the search results.
- Here you’ll see things with external storage that Windows Explorer has issues.
- Finally, right-clickingon the troublesome and choose Format.
These are three common ways to clean and format storage in the Windows 10. Share your thoughts with us in the comment below.