Hello you, guys! The Huawei P9 and its brother, the P9 Plus can be now easily tweaked. As we said in the earlier post, you can now unlock the bootloader for these devices by using the official Huawei method and after doing so, everything will be at your disposal. But if you need to know how to install a custom recovery image and how to safely root your Huawei P9 and Huawei P9 Plus, just follow given tutorial in this post to root your device successfully.
Once rooted, your Huawei P9/P9 Plus will become eligible for multitasking, which you can never materialize with the stock Android OS. Benefits of rooting is a lot, but to name a few, you can flash custom ROMs, install custom recovery images, install custom kernels, cheat games and many more which you can never do in the stock Android OS.
Apart, the flexibility of your handset will be enhanced to the next level after rooting your Smartphone. Not only your device will be unlocked, but will speed up and the existing bugs and lags on your Smartphone will be fixed. Also you can customize your device as per your requirements, fix the other existing issues in your device.
Before starting the rooting process, we must tell you that rooting your P9/P9 Plus will void its warranty, so doing that is solely your own risk. We at TechGipsy will not take responsible for any sort of issues if created in your Smartphone during the rooting process. So make sure you understand the procedure well before starting the procedure.
- A Huawei P9/P9 Plus Smartphone
- One PC was pre-installed with the Huawei P9/P9 Plus drivers as well as Android SDK tool
- A original USB Type-C cable
- Unlock the bootloader of your Huawei P9/P9 Plus.
- Backup of all your device data in case they get lost during the rooting process.
- At least 70% power back up to avoid unexpected device shut down.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by going to Settings > Development > USB debugging. Remember to untick the Debugging box when you are done with the rooting procedure.
- Remove the antivirus app in your smartphone & Disable the antivirus program in your PC.
How to Root the Huawei P9 / P9 Plus
- Flash Custom TWRP Recovery image
To root your Huawei P9/P9 Plus, first you need to install a custom recovery for your handset (we use TWRP recovery in this post), here is how you can successfully flash custom recovery:
- Download the TWRP recovery file on your computer: for the Huawei P9 from here, and for the P9 Plus from here.
- Place it on desktop and rename it into “twrp.img”.
- Turn on your phone and connect it with your computer using the USB cable.
- On your computer, open a cmd window by holding down Shift key while right clicking on any blank space.
- In the cmd window, enter: “adb reboot bootloader” – your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus will automatically reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Then, type: “fastboot flash recovery twrp.img”.
- The custom recovery image will now be automatically installed.
- Once done, type “fastboot reboot” to reboot your device.
- Download the root exploit file for your Huawei P9 / P9 Plus, here.
- Place this package on desktop and connect your phone with your computer.
- Copy the downloaded root package to your phone
- Switch off your Huawei device and now enter recovery mode by pressing and holding altogether the Power and the Volume Up
- From the recovery mode menu, tap on Install, then load the root package.
- Swipe right to start the flashing process
- Once done, back to main menu of recovery and tap on Reboot.
- If a boot loop happens, just return to recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
Also read: How to root T-Mobile LG V20
That’s all! Now your Huawei P9/P9 Plus has been successfully rooted. In case you face any issues in the rooting process, feel free to ping us back in comment section. We shall try to find out some solution for you.