The Motorola Moto X Play Smartphone is one of the most popular Android devices in the Android market and now this handset is receiving the official Android 5.1.1 CM 12.1 Custom ROM update. The update is rolled by the XDA Developers and hence credit for this update goes to him. Kudos to the XDA Developers that the Motorola Moto X Play can now test a stable version of the CyanogenMod ROM. So if you are interested for changing the default Lollipop UI of your handset and want to replace it with a customizable UI, then this new Custom ROM will be perfect for you. In this article, I shall guide you through a step-by-step guide to flash this new CyanogenMod ROM on your Motorola Moto X Play Smartphone.
Though this is an unofficial ROM, yet it’s quite stable in nature and will give your device stable performance. In this new Custom ROM, you will find a number of new CyanogenMod features which you will of course not find in the default Lollipop ROM. Many a users have already tested this ROM in their device and they review it as a perfect stable ROM for everyday use. Still no issues or bugs have been reported about this newly released Custom ROM. But that doesn’t mean that we guarantee that this update will not create any bugs or issues in your device. If anything such happens because of the update, then we shall not remain responsible for the same. So the update is fully your decision.
Before proceeding to the update, you must take a look on the below given step-by-step guide for the update. Also make sure to meet the prior needs. Else your update might prove a curse for you.
Because it’s not an official Custom ROM update, so it will void the warranty of your Motorola Moto X Play and you can’t retrieve it back. Similarly you have to install the latest Custom Recovery image (TWRP or CWM) on your Motorola Moto X Play before starting the update. Undoubtedly the new firmware will bring considerable changes in your handset and will make it more noteworthy to use. But simultaneously you might face certain issues or bugs in your device because of the update for which we at Androidjee will not remain responsible.
Most importantly create a full back of your Motorola Moto X Play so that you will not permanently loose the pictures, videos, songs and other important data on your device. It’s mandatory as during installation, all data in your device will be erased. Remember, this update is exclusively meant for the Motorola Moto X Play. If you use this file in any other device, then there are chances of your device getting bricked. Also enable the USB Debugging option in your handset before the update and disable it after. Maintain at least 75% battery back up on your Android device to avoid unexpected shut down during the update.
Steps to flash Motorola Moto X Play to Android 5.1.1 CM 12.1 Custom ROM
- First of all download the CM 12.1.zip Custom ROM and Gapps (search from Google) files for your Motorola Moto X Play.
- Then connect your Smartphone to your PC via USB and then move the Custom ROM and the Gapps file to the SD card of your device. After switch off your Moto X Play, unplug the USB and put it into recovery mode.
- In Recovery mode select wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvick cache options from recovery mode menu to wipe data and clear cache from your device.
- After select “Install .zip from SD Card” and choose the Custom ROM file that you had moved to your SD card in step II.
- Now click Install and wait still the file to get flashed on your Motorola Moto X Play.
- Follow the same procedure to install Gapps on your device.
- Once the flashing process is finished, go back to the Main Menu and select “reboot system now”.
Walla! Finally you have updated your Motorola Moto X Play to the newly released Android 5.1.1 CM 12.1 Custom ROM. You must not face any issues to flash the new firmware on your Motorola Moto X Play following the given procedure. Still you face any issues, hesitate not to ping me back in the comment section. I shall try to find out a solution for you.